Zimmermann to start opening day for Tigers
- Angels designate RP Allen for assignment
- Morton suffers first loss in 22 starts
- Streaking Braves face Phillies ace Nola
- Darvish at Dodger Stadium a bad memory
- Tribe's Bauers hits for cycle vs. Tigers
LAKELAND, Fla. (AP) Detroit Tigers right-hander Jordan Zimmermann is going to make his second consecutive opening-day start.
The Tigers announced the decision on Sunday. They begin the season on Thursday at Toronto.
Zimmermann has struggled during his three years with the Tigers after arriving as a free agent before the 2016 season.
He battled neck issues in 2016 before going 8-13 with a 6.08 ERA in 29 starts in 2017.
Last year, the 32-year-old Zimmerman was 7-8 with a 4.52 ERA over 25 starts and had core muscles repair surgery in October.
More AP MLB: https://apnews.com/MLB and htts://twitter.com/AP-Sports
Updated March 24, 2019